Due Week 13
This project explores the integration of the physical environment with the media environment through the limited palette of one physical sensor and one media effector. Using the concepts of productive information exploration and behavior design for interactive systems, create a tangible interaction where the audience manipulates a single knob and observes a video display OR listens to audio (only one medium is allowed). By interacting with a system that has a designed behavior, the user should create a productive interaction experience that explores a specific information space.
This project serves two purposes. First, it explores productive interaction through the lens of designed behavior. Second, it introduces the design domain of tangible interaction, where interaction moves off the computer screen and into embodied, tangible content and interactions in the physical world.
- Any kind of media can be displayed/played back (text, video, voices, music, sounds, etc.), but you must limit it to only visual OR audio, not both.
- The knob should have a physical attachment made to it, turning it into a physical, embodied system that has an implied affordance to the user (like a round doorknob implies turning). In other words, you need to build the knob into something and can’t use the knob as-is. There may not be any screen interface elements such as menus, pull-downs, etc.
- Choose a specific topic or set of information as your domain.
- Each student will design their own project. At the same time, students are encouraged to help each other and trade their particular expertise with each other.
- You will need to use the shop, work with hand tools, and get your hands dirty!
You will use the NET Lab Toolkit which can be found here.
- Selected 2010 projects
- Dee Kim The Girl Behind a Blind: A Storytelling Window
- Bora Shin Music Constellation
- Jayne Vidheecharoen Dumpling Dash
- Aarti Vashisht Circulating Belief
- Sal Orara A Bow in C
- Mike Manalo Machining Punditry
- Selected 2009 projects:
- Sue Yang Hold My Hands
- Scott Liao Facial Study Inspector
- Hye Mi Kim Umbrella
- Julianne Weiss Digital Thaumatrope
- Alex Braidwood Public Noise and Half Conversations
- Dustin York Go Fish
- Selected 2008 projects:
- Chris Lauritzen Market Controller
- Austin Lee Wind Pipe
- Yoo Kyoung Noh Shower
- Hunter Sebresos Drum Stool
- Hyun Ju Yang History Explorer
- Haemi Yoon Memory Music Box
- Julia Tsao, Adam Guzman Small Sounds (2007)
- This is Not a Knob Fall 2007
- This is Not a Knob Spring 2007