Consultant, interaction designer, producer, and entrepreneur with over 30 years experience developing commercial and experimental media, computer and interactive projects. Focus on projects related to artificial intelligence, tangible interaction, and the Internet of Things.
Educator experienced in teaching, administration and curriculum development in graduate and undergraduate settings.
Researcher developing new approaches for the design of intelligent systems, including Animistic Design. Also building new tools so AI systems can be easily prototyped and tested.
- Professor Interaction Design, Art Center College of Design – Core Faculty within Graduate Media Design Practices, MFA Program
- Founder, Principal, Commotion.AI – AI Consulting, tools, interaction design, research
- Member, ACM – Association for Computing Machinery
- Member, IXDA – Interactive Design Association
- Member, AAAI – Association for the Advancement of Artificial Intelligence
Websites & Social Media
philvanallen.com – projects & blog
Delft AI Toolkit – my open source toolkit for prototyping AI
netlabtoolkit.org – site for my NETLab Toolkit project
twitter.com/philvanallen – trends & news related to IxD
youtube.com/user/philvanallen – video documentation and tutorials
linkedin.com/in/philipvanallen – professional network
medium.com/@philvanallen – occasional articles on AI/IxD